Sendmail or Postfix?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 15 19:28:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 11:16 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I discovered that I have sendmail and postfix on my system,
> and while I was unaware that postfix was installed, I had setup
> my sendmail configuration and everything seemed to work.
>
> However when I installed ISPConfig, it reconfigured postfix and now
> it seems that postfix has taken over sendmail.  Odd, but not really.
>
> Prior to installing ISPConfig and using sendmail instead of postfix,
> I had previously reported that clamav and spamassassin in the
> sendmail.cf file was reporting errors and no one responded so no
> solution was in the works thus disabled.
>
> At this point, my postfix is not properly setup to where it should be,
> so this means I have two choices, remove postfix and learn how to set
> it up properly or remove sendmail since I already know how it works,
> but I cannot have both of these running as it will conflict with each other.
>
> So my question is:
>
> Which of the two Email systems are the most secure, that most people
> use and trust, has better control over intrusion and has good AntiSpam
> and AntiVirus support?
----
you should have labeled your post - holy war bait

first...

yum install system-switch-mail

then you can easily switch between them simply by running command...

system-switch-mail

second...

I think sendmail is more widely in use and postfix is generally easier
for users to configure. Both have complete methodologies for resisting
intrusion and other nastiness such as relay control, pipelining, etc.
Both can easily integrate with other technologies such as spamassassin
and clamav but I would generally suggest that you use a 'wrapper'
technology such as MailScanner or amavisd-new.

My personal recommendations are to use postfix, MailScanner (which wraps
spamassassin and clamav and calls them when appropriate)...note that if
you go this route, use the '4.66-beta' version.

Craig