Sendmail or Postfix?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Dec 15 23:52:34 UTC 2007

> I believe its security problems have been addressed, and the m4 macroes
> in the sendmail-cf package make it easier to configure, but postfix
> remains the MTA of choice for many users and is the default in some
> distros including *suse and *ubuntu*.
>
> Debian prefers exim which (I think) is also in Fedora and EL.

Exim is an excellent mail system. I've used it for many projects and its
really easy to set up and to make do very comlex things.

Sendmail is ok in current Fedora as you can fiddle with the sendmail
config file generator and get useful results, but it still isn't nice,
and anything 'clever' not in the configuration macros is a nightmare.