F8 install failure again & again

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Dec 16 03:02:48 UTC 2007

On 2007/12/15 16:25 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:47 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>> ATM, I'm running a text install using noapic acpi=off, but am not hopeful of
>> materially different results.

>> Without making hardware changes, I'm at a loss what else to try. Ideas?

> with hardware that's been around that long, you shouldn't have to add
> any of those kernel parameters to get install but you might consider
> only installing @base (maybe @editors) and keeping it simple because you
> can then boot, do a 'yum groupinstall @whatever' afterwards

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried yet again, cmdline text vga=788, then
deselected everything except admin tools, hardware support, network servers.
Still, boot halts with this tail:

Noresume passed, not resuming...
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.

Unless it blew by before I could see it, I'm puzzled why I'm seeing a message
about ata_generic.ko, but not ata_piix.ko, since this is Intel ICH2. Booting
F7 /var/log/messages has ata_piix but no ata_generic. I tried to loop mount
the initrd as tmpfs to see if piix was in it, but the howto I found
http://www.benusa.com/linux/boot.htm doesn't work. :-(

On rescue boot and chroot, lsmod shows ata_piix, and not ata_generic, so it
seems there's some problem getting a good initrd from the installer. Under
chroot I did 'mkinitrd --preload=ata_piix /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8x.img
2.6.23.1-42.fc8'
but using that boot hangs after a bunch of USB messages that followed the
enumeration of sdc partitions and the CD-ROM. :-(

Unless someone has better ideas, maybe after I recuperate some from most of
over 30 hours of only this I'll pull the HD off ICH2, stick it on ICH4, and
see if an install goes more like normal, but I really don't like opening
boxes for stuff like this. :-p
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409