Cups problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 16 04:39:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 04:28 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I haven't read the whole thread,
> >> but I haven't seen any evidence that cupsd is running on your machine.
> >>
> >> What is the output of "ps aux | grep cups" ?
> >>
> >> Also what is the result of "telnet localhost 631"?
> >> And "telnet 127.0.0.1 631"?

> >> I'm not sure what you mean.
> >> If cupsd is running then you should be able to browse to localhost:631
> >> without giving the superuser password.
> >>
> >> I strongly suspect your problem is much simpler than you think.
>
> > Timothy...you're not helping
> >
> > his packages are screwed up from a completely out of control yum.repos.d
> > folder
> >
> > He needs to fix that, and then update his packages to obtain sanity.
>
> What you say may well be true.
> But I doubt if it has anything to do with his cups problem.
> If cupsd is running then the problem with cups
> is likely to be something very simple -
> eg perhaps the line "Listen localhost:631" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> has somehow got deleted.
>
> As far as the problem with yum.repos.d is concerned,
> I would have recommended running "grep enabled=1 /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo"
> and seen what repos were enabled (probably very few),
> and disabling all except fedora and fedora-updates.
>
> As far as cups is concerned, I would run "service cups restart"
> and then look in /var/log/cups/error_log
> to see what was reported there.
----
you seem to simply ignore that you prefaced this all with "I haven't
read the whole thread" and yet, you still want to persist with it.

Help if you wish - but he's had no less than 8 people tell him the same
things (about cups)...that's why I objected to your interference.

You may be right about his cupsd.conf - I am fairly certain that he is
missing some cups dependencies but we can't figure that out because of
the complete mess in /etc/yum.repos.d

Now, just to show you how absurd your concept is of grep enabled=1 is...
This was the contents of his /etc/yum.repos.d...
atrpms.repo
atrpms-bleeding.repo
atrpms-stable.repo
atrpms-testing.repo

jpackage-fedora.repo
jpackage-generic.repo
jpackage.repo

kde-redhat.repo
kde-redhat-stable-all.repo
kde-redhat-stable.repo

livna-devel.repo
livna-devel.repo.rpmorig
livna.repo
livna.repo.rpmorig
livna.repo.rpmsave
livna-testing.repo

dag.repo
dries.repo
freshrpms.repo
freshrpms.repo.rpmnew
rpmforge.repo
mirrors-rpmforge

fedora-core.repo.rpmnew
fedora-development.repo
fedora-devel.repo
fedora-core.repo.rpmsave
fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
fedora.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora.repo.rpmnew
fedora-extra-devel.repo
fedora-extra.repo
fedora.us-extras
fedora-extras-devel.repo
Fedora-install-media.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew
fedora-updates-testing.repo

local-base
local-devel
local-extra-devel
local-extras
local-updates-testing
local-updates
home.repo
gstreamer.repo
gstreamer-deps.repo
yjl.repo
nr.repo
newrpms.repo
nrpms.repo
Macromedia
city-fan.org.repo

Now if you consider that fedora-updates.repo and
fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew et al, how are you gonna know which one is
from Fedora 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or whatever?

As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
competent to give opinions.

Nice...thanks - I'm going to bed and you can help him out.

Craig