[F8] how to disable system beep

Wouter Spee wouter at 7virtues.nl
Sun Dec 16 12:40:39 UTC 2007

Zacharie Elcor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
> disabled at startup.
> I already tried :
> - System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked
> "Enable system beep"
> - added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)
>
> The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
> terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
> Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
> When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
> "TERM environment variable not set"
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Zacharie

Hi,

You can add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist pcspkr

This will prevent the module from loading at boot time.

To disable the speaker temporarily (untill the next boot) you can just
unload the module by:

sudo modprobe -r pcspkr

So using both would solve the problem immediately and perminantly.

Regards,

Wouter