F8 install failure again & again

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Dec 16 14:42:27 UTC 2007

Felix Miata wrote:

> It used to be that PATA was not SATA was not SCSI was not USB, and we
> could distinguish which was which by their names. Now since libata, PATA =
> SATA = SCSI = USB, and distinguishing which is which in discussion is
> anything but easy - unless made easier by referring to them by traditional
> names, which is what I did. PATA is no less PATA just because libata wants
> to call it SCSI. So, hdc3, even though it doesn't live in /dev on F8, does
> have a clearly understood meaning, while sdc3 could mean any of at least 4
> things, depending on what's actually installed and the whim of udev.
>
> If it was up to me, Al Viro and those responsible for libata as SCSI aka
> screw backward compatibilty would be shark bait. :-p

It's true that the new all-is-SCSI system occasionally causes confusion,
but surely the advantage of having one interface vastly outweighs this?

With Linux getting more and more complicated,
it is great that something is simplified for once.

It seems to me wholly in the Unix tradition that "everything is a file".