Copying DVDs

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:09:41 UTC 2007

     Dear friends,

On Dec 15, 2007 2:04 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Q1: try to use a RW dvd to check whether you can copy in it the F8
> dvd, for instance;

  I inserted an empty DVD-R. The drive kept spinning and making
unusual noises, and the system did not recognize the presence of a
disc. Does that mean that it can not write to DVD?

> Q2: what is the format of your two movies?

  I don't know. All I know is that I have two disks which I can play,
for example on my Windows machine with Windows Media Player, and each
contains a movie of about twenty minutes. Unfortunately, the drive on
my Windows machine can only read, and not write DVDs. When I insert
the disc in my Fedora 7 laptop, it starts Totem, which then complains
it does not have the appropriate plugins to handle the disc.

  When I open Fedora menu > Places > MY_DVD, I see two directories
called AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS is empty, and VIDEO_TS contains
the files VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.BUP,
VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, each of which is listed as
having an unknown file type and an unknown modification date.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Post-Doc Researcher