Cups problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 16 15:34:11 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> One opens a web browser, and tries getting the local CUPS website to
>> show, either by browsing to http://localhost:631 or http://127.0.0.1:631
>> (they're the same thing).

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Unless he fixed his /etc/hosts file, they may not the same thing. He
> had two entries for localhost, with two different IP addresses.

I have been following the whole thread, reading all the messages, though
it is getting confusing.  Not to mention, difficult to read.  But what I
saw was that his hosts file was strangely like this:

 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
 192.168.0.1     reddwarf localhost.localdomain

Later changing to another strange setup:

 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost
 192.168.0.1     reddwarf.localdomain   192.68.0.1

The latter looking like a line wrapping error crept in,  But "localhost"
should have worked in the normal way.  *Other* things may have had
problems, though.

> I wounder if the problem is that CUPS is configured to only allow
> administrator logins from 127.0.0.1, but because of the hosts problem,
> he is connecting on the 192.168.x.x address. (I don't remember the IP
> address.)

Administrative control is handled differently than the general access
for printing.  Even if some rules prevented admin control, some access
ought to have worked.  Unless, the cupds.conf file had been customised
strangely, too.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.