F8 yum updates failing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 17:20:18 UTC 2007

On 16/12/2007, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:49:28 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Make use of "yum clean all" (or related options) or delete the offending
> > package below /var/cache/yum manually.
> >
> > In either case, something like that should not happen, so it can be
> > considered a bug in the software or update system.
>
>         Actually, my standard routine is to do "yum clean all," then "rpm
> --rebuilddb," then "updatedb," and only then "yum update" each time.

"updatedb"? It has _nothing_ to do with package management at all. It
is part of the locate database (package "mlocate").

>         I don't know what means "the offending package below /var/cache/
> yum"

Then examine the directory structure below /var/cache/yum. For every
repository there is a "packages" directory, which contains the
downloaded packages. Partial/corrupted downloads can cause problems. A
few times before, after initial release packages have been resigned
with a different key, which invalidated old checksums and caused
download problems, too.