hdparm shows poor performance on cached reads for PATA drive

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 17 00:11:10 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> I have an older laptop (HP ze4400 series) with a PATA hard drive.
>> When I check hdparm -T /dev/sda in Fedora 7 or 8, it shows me
>> performance of ~180MB/sec
>>
>> When I use a boot CD (gparted/clonezilla) to check the speed (by the
>> way, it uses the old style /dev/hdc, instead) - it tells me the
>> performance is upward of 400MB/sec
>>
>> The buffered speed seems about the same in either case at ~30MB/sec.
>> (I've tried enabling/disabling various settings via hdparm, while in
>> boot CD mode)
>>
>> Why is this happening and is there a way to fix it (without reverting
>> to /dev/hdc)?
>

> *bump* since I got no replies from last time
> Just ran another test: in F8, I get 123MB/s on cached reads, 28.55MB on
> buffered reads. When booted into Knoppix 5.1.0, cached reads say
> 210MB/s, and buffered reads fluctuate between 15MB/s and 20MB/s.

For general performance, cached performance is pretty irrelevant, you're
still constrained to the bus speed at best, and the general ability of
the hardware (ATA motherboard electronics included) in general.

I don't have the foggiest idea of what an HP ze4400 is; depending on its
age your speed of 28.55MB is pretty good.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait