wmctrl not seeing all my windows

Mark Knoop mark at opus11.net
Mon Dec 17 15:25:08 UTC 2007

I noticed the other day that wmctrl (a command line tool to interact
with an X Window Manager) is not seeing all the windows I have open. I
use wmctrl in a couple of scripts, mainly to focus particular windows.

It used to work fine, but recently |wmctrl -l| does not list all the
windows I have open. This first occurred after an X crash, but it seems
weird that this would be the only problem. There seems to be no
consistency as to which windows are listed and which ignored.

I'm using compiz, but the issue is still there when I switch to
metacity. If anyone has wmctrl installed, could you try listing your
windows and see if they're all there?

--
Mark Knoop