f8 boots!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 17:23:09 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Now, I have a large corpus of email I'd like to transfer over to the f8
>> install, but apparently the lack of a bios extension prevents the sata
>> disk from being seen when booted to FC6.
>>
>> It would be much simpler if I could have MAKEDEV or udev, make
>> a "/dev/VolGroup01" tree when fc6 is booted, however I can't see how that
>> would be done.
>>
>> F8 does see the old drives, all are sdx as opposed to hdx drives, and I
>> can mount the fc6 boot partition while running f8.  But my attempts to
>> mount it all failed cuz there apparently can be only 1 VolGroup0X at a
>> time.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to mount the fc6 slash to a mountpoint of f8?
>>
>> Or how to mount the f8 VolGroup01 onto fc6?
>
>man lvm

Doh!  I tried that, but since its lvm2 I used that and got nothing.  But, that
appears to be the tools page.  There is no mention of the word mount, nor is
there a mention of lvm in the mount manpage.  From there:

       -t vfstype
              The argument following the -t is used to indicate the file
system type.  The file  system  types  which
              are  currently  supported  include:  adfs, affs, autofs, cifs,
coda, coherent, cramfs, debugfs, devpts,
              efs, ext, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos,
ncpfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, proc, qnx4, ramfs,
              reiserfs,  romfs,  smbfs,  sysv,  tmpfs,  udf,  ufs, umsdos,
usbfs, vfat, xenix, xfs, xiafs.  Note that
              coherent, sysv and xenix are equivalent and that xenix and
coherent will be removed at  some  point  in
              the  future  —  use sysv instead. Since kernel version 2.1.21
the types ext and xiafs do not exist any-
              more. Earlier, usbfs was known as usbdevfs.

No mention of lvm, and an attempted mount using ext3 fails, wrong fs message
or??.

So where is this actually covered?  I'm reticent to attempt editing fstab
until I know it works as I had a heck of a time recovering from a one
character typu in that once before, it will not skip a bad line and proceed
with the rest of the configuration.  Any error there appears to be fatal.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)