Formatting quotes in posts ?

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Mon Dec 17 21:14:23 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
: Hi Dean in particular;
:
: Dean S. Messing's posts have quoting formatted with a simple clean
: looking:
:
: "
: Alan wrote:
: : Well, that depends on what you used and how you built it.
: :
: : I have been using the nVIDIA driver for a very long time.  I build the
: : driver via the install script. I do not use the
: "
:
: How does he do that?
:
: The quote header is replaced with a clean "Alan Wrote:" and in the body
: of the quote the > is replaced with :
:
: It is neat, clean and easy to read.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
: how I might replicate it in Evolution 2.12.2

One word: Emacs.

Warning: one or two people over the years have complained about my use
of ":" in place of the standard ">".  Some GUI-based readers seem to
turn the ">" into blue vertical lines (which, I admit, look nice), but
ignore my ":".

My policy is to not change anything in the post to which I'm replying,
except to snip out irrelevant parts and to try and make the
attributions clear.  In other words, I do a bit of editting first.  I
then add the ":" at the top level of that to which I am replying using
an Emacs key sequence.  If others have used ">" or "[WC]:" or
whatever, I leave it alone.

Emacs never re-formats the text unless I tell it to (unlike so many
accursed browsers) so there are few surprises.

Dean