copying entirely repos

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 21:45:48 UTC 2007

yordy said the following on 12/14/2007 10:33 AM Pacific Time:
> hi, i need to make a local copy of some repos (atrpms, updates, freshrpms, etc.). i move for one place to another and some time don't have an internet connection, i want update my local copies when i reach an internet connection. how can i do that?, mirroring those repos?

1) Find a mirror that supports rsync:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist

2) See what is there: rsync -av rsync://mirror.hiwaay.net
or sometimes it is easier to view by navigating the http:// version of
the repo, in this case http://mirror.hiwaay.net/pub/fedora/linux/

3) Make a local copy
rsync -av --progress
rsync://mirror.hiwaay.net/fedora-linux/updates/8/x86_64/ /my/local/repodir

If you want your local repo to continue to look EXACTLY like the mirror
rsync -av --progress --delete
rsync://mirror.hiwaay.net/fedora-linux/updates/8/x86_64/ /my/local/repodir

WARNING: speaking from experience, it is easy to get burned by the
--delete argument.  Be careful where you use it as you are telling rsync
to make the specified target directory look exactly like the source and
it will delete *any* files that it has to in order to achieve this.
Thus, if you have added files of your own, etc. to the target they will
get blown away.

One way to avoid getting in trouble is to add the -n option first to
make sure it is doing what you want to do.

John