f8 boots!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 22:24:04 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>>man lvm
>>
>> Doh!  I tried that, but since its lvm2 I used that and got nothing.  But,
>> that
>> appears to be the tools page.  There is no mention of the word mount, nor
>> is
>> there a mention of lvm in the mount manpage.

>> No mention of lvm, and an attempted mount using ext3 fails, wrong fs
>> message or??.
>>
>> So where is this actually covered?  I'm reticent to attempt editing fstab
>> until I know it works as I had a heck of a time recovering from a one
>> character typu in that once before, it will not skip a bad line and
>> proceed
>> with the rest of the configuration.  Any error there appears to be fatal.
>
>I'm able to mount an LVM partition without problem:
>---------------------------
>[root at alfred tim]# mount /dev/VolGroup00/opt /mnt
>[root at alfred tim]# ls /mnt
>lost+found  SDK  sun
>---------------------------
>
>I don't see that there would be any problem if the mount didn't work.
>
>My fstab reads in part:
>---------------------------
>/dev/VolGroup00/slash   /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
>LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>/dev/VolGroup00/home    /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>---------------------------
>I take it from this that the LVM partition is ext3.
>
>My grub.conf stanza reads
>---------------------------
>title Fedora (2.6.23.1-21.fc7)
>        root (hd1,1)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-21.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/slash noipv6
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.img

I got it to mount from the f8 side and copied over about 30GB of stuff, but
thought I'd add it to fstab.  On the reboot it of course upchucked all over
itself and dropped me to a shell to fix it.  Unforch, I cannot find a way to
fix it because its mounted read-only EVEN if I changed the kernel lines
argument from ro to rw.

So how DO I get write perms to the filesystem so I can fix /etc/fstab?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)