Seahorse vs Evolution ?

Bill LaGrue bill at billlagr.id.au
Mon Dec 17 22:58:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:58:32 -0500
Matthew Saltzman <mjs at CLEMSON.EDU> wrote:

--snip--

> If you save passwords to your mailboxes, etc., in Evo, they are stored
> on your keyring.  To get access to them, you must authenticate to your
> keyring.  There's no getting around that.  (NetworkManager stores your
> wireless keys on your keyring too, so you have to authenticate to log
> onto a wireless network as well.  But you should only need to do it
> once per login.)
>
> There is a package gnome-keyring-pam that is supposed to automatically
> unlock your keyring if the keyring and login passwords are the same,
> but it doesn't work yet.  Check Bugzilla for that component.
>
> gnome-keyring-pam replaced pam-keyring, which used to work in F7 (if
> properly set up), but I haven't tried to get it working in F8.
>

> > A quick prompt, or suggestion, or solution would be really
> > appreciated.
>
> HTH.

It works just fine for me. I also had the Evo and network key issue,
entering the keyring password for each one, now they both "Just Work
(tm)". I can't remember where I found the config (sorry) but its not
just a simple thing that you can flick on and off, you need to install
it (gnome-keyring-pam) from yum, edit some pam config files and more
importantly, your user login password and keyring password need to be
the identical. From memory, you can't change/easily change the keyring
password (I might be wrong on that - I can't check atm), so in that
case you would need to change your login password to match, and that
also means that if you regularly change/rotate your passwords, then you
would need to change your keyring password too (if you can!)
Some of this this may be incorrect - I'm going entirely from memory, as
I dont have access to my Linux boxen atm. If you like, when i get back
later I can check my config and post it here