Cups problem

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 18 03:00:00 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> [...]
>> xrick-0.0.021212-2.fc5.i386
>> freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch
>> krbafs-devel-1.2.2-10.1.i386
>> gimp-panorama-plugin-2.0-cvs20041208.fc5.bp.i386
>> flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release.i386
>> krbafs-1.2.2-10.1.i386
>> livna-release-7-2.noarch
>> gtktalog-1.0.4-7.fc5.i386
>> RealPlayer-10.0.0.297-20040730.i586
>> vcdimager-0.7.23-5.fc6.i386
>> gimp-refocus-it-2.0.0-1.fc5.i386
>> gimp-greycstoration-0.2.0-1.fc5.i386
>> kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.i686 <-- keep this
>> ckermit-8.0.211-5.fc5.i386
>> bpalogin-2.0.2-1.i386
>> AdobeReader_enu-7.0.0-1.i386
>> mudmagic-1.9-1.i386
>> kalbum-0.8.0-302.1.i586
>> graveman-0.3.12.5-4.fc7.i386
>> x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386
>> yum-plugin-gpgcheck-0.10-1.noarch
>> openssl097a-0.9.7a-9.i386
>> xmms-mp3-1.2.10-16.fc5.i386
>> gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr.i386 <-- keep this.
>> autorun-3.20-1.1.i386
>> picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386
>> liblbxutil-1.0.0-2.2.i386
>> rkhunter-1.2.8-3.fc5.noarch
>> mplayer-skins-1.8-1.noarch
>> apcupsd-std-3.10.18-1.i386
>> gstreamer08-0.8.12-8.fc6.i386
>> gimp-data-extras-2.0.1-1.1.1.noarch
>> avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep gnome-alsamixer
>> gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr.i386
>>
> ----
> I don't have my Fedora 8 system available to me tonight...I shut it down at work
>
> try this....it will probably fail. You can try to remove them one at a
> time if they fail using yum remove SOME_PACKAGE but don't say yes to
> remove if the list of packages seems wrong because unlike 'rpm -e
> SOME_PACKAGE', 'yum remove SOME_PACKAGE' will also remove dependent
> packages.
>
> rpm -e \
>  xrick-0.0.021212-2.fc5.i386 \
>  freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch \
>  gimp-panorama-plugin-2.0-cvs20041208.fc5.bp.i386 \
>  gtktalog-1.0.4-7.fc5.i386 \
>  vcdimager-0.7.23-5.fc6.i386 \
>  gimp-refocus-it-2.0.0-1.fc5.i386 \
>  gimp-greycstoration-0.2.0-1.fc5.i386 \
>  ckermit-8.0.211-5.fc5.i386 \
>  kalbum-0.8.0-302.1.i586 \
>  x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386 \
>  yum-plugin-gpgcheck-0.10-1.noarch \
>  openssl097a-0.9.7a-9.i386 \
>  xmms-mp3-1.2.10-16.fc5.i386 \
>  rkhunter-1.2.8-3.fc5.noarch \
>  gstreamer08-0.8.12-8.fc6.i386 \
>  avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
>
> you can probably re-install most of these things after you remove the
> old versions
>
> i.e.
>
> rpm -e x264 xmms-mp3
> yum install x264 xmms-mp3
>
> also...
>
> Other thoughts...
> AdobeReader, RealPlayer are older but still should work though I think
> RealPlayer might be linked to old gstreamer...
>
> yum remove RealPlayer might remove gstreamer but that wouldn't be bad,
> then you could put new version in like...

This is a script to logon to my ISP's server
>  mudmagic-1.9-1.i386

Mudmagic is multiuser domain,role playing on a CLI over the net.
>  gnome-alsamixer

An audio mixer

> The rest, I'd probably keep and not remove
>
> Craig

I don't think I'll delete any thing as at the moment nothing appears to be
going wrong,so I worry about dependencies which are bound to raise their
ugly
heads.

I would say that this is the end of this thread wouldn't you Craig.

    david