3D Support for NVIDIA

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Dec 18 23:59:27 UTC 2007

> : For Linux to get and maintain growth in the public and commercial eyes,
> : the developers have to work together to make these issues disappear.  It
> : would be great if all software was opensource but that isn't going to
> : happen in a world of get rich with IP plans in the works.
>
> Some people believe that they shd. get paid for the hard design work
> they do.  There's a great deal more (as I'm sure you know) to IP then
> "getting rich".  It's also about self protection from other rapacious
> companies, about portfolio negotiation, about protection from your
> ideas being stolen, and lots of other stuff.

This brings up an interesting point...

Last night at the PLUG Advanced Topics meeting in Portland Oregon one of
the kernel developers who works at Intel talked about how they got the
lawyers to allow open sourcing of the ethernet drivers.

The excuse they got from the lawyers was "intellectual property".  The
kernel developers said "what is it"?

When the layers actually tracked that down, they found that there was no
IP in the drivers.  It was all in silicon.

What the drivers do is communicate with an interface.  The rest should be
in hardware.  (Besides, anyone who really wanted to know would just attach
a bus analyzer and disassemble the drivers and figure out how it really
works.)

> : I am going to
> : look at ATI in the future because of AMD's opening of their drivers.
>
> Ok, this answers my question above.  I didn't know that AMD had opened
> their drivers.  Good for them! Maybe that will put some good
> capitalist pressure on nVidia to do the same.

Intel has opened their drivers as well.  Hopefully nVIDIA will do the
same.  I expect it will happen sometime shortly after the drivers are
completely reverse engineered. (So real soon now.)