WiFi profiles and devices

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Dec 19 00:00:32 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> How does one set up and use /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles?
> I've always wondered, but as I've just gone over to Fedora-8
> on this laptop, and the directories /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles
> and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices are both bare,
> this might be a good time to start.
>
> I should say that I am not running NetworkManager,
> as it does not support my WiFi device.
>
> As far as I can see, WiFi only looks at
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
> I find editing this works fine for me,
> so my interest in profiles is purely academic.

From Gnome in FC6, it is System --> Administration --> Network. To
create a new profile, Pick Profile --> New or click on the New button.

When you activate a profile, it replaces the selected files such as
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?, /etc/hosts,
/etc/resolv.conf, and other needed for the changed profile. (If all
profiles use the same files, nothing is replaced. So if
/etc/resolv.conf is the same, it is not changes, etc.)

I have not played with it much in Fedora, but if it works the same
as what Mandriva was using, you have a lot of control over what
files are changed when you change profiles. With Mandriva, I used to
change like firewall rules, name server configuration, wireless
keys, etc.

Mikkel