won't dual boot: 2 disks and LVM

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Dec 18 23:56:03 UTC 2007

Felix Miata wrote:
: On 2007/12/18 15:10 (GMT) michael apparently typed:
:
: > I'm looking for a solution for (re-)installing WinXP on my slave disk
: > when I have Fedora and LVM on the master disk. In the past I've opened
: > up the box and unplugged the Fedora/LVM disk in order for WinXP to
: > install okay. But this seems much too drastic. Even swapping disk order
: > (in BIOS) doesn't help - WinXP installation sits there "forever" when
: > checking current config.
:
: > Whilst I cannot find any definite reference stating "MS WinXP cannot
: > handle LVM" it does seem to be the culprit.
:
: > Anybody got any such definitive references or other help?
:
: It might help us help you to see the output of fdisk -l for each disk.
:
: This might be of some use understanding:
: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after

This link appears to be dead.

By the bye, there's a parallel discussion of Michael's thread over on
the [linux-lvm] list.  I don't know if it's correct, but this answer
to Michael's identical question over there seems useful to the discussion:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2007-December/msg00048.html

Dean