/var/log/messages

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Dec 19 00:47:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 10:10 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> How do I pull this type of message out and place into a directory
> [bpalogin]
>
> Dec 19 09:12:58 reddwarf bpalogin[1965]: Error binding auth socket - Bad
> file descriptor
> Dec 19 09:12:58 reddwarf bpalogin[1965]: Sleeping for 60 seconds
> Dec 19 09:42:59 reddwarf bpalogin[1965]: Auth host =
> sm-server.qld.bigpond.net.au:5050
> Dec 19 09:42:59 reddwarf bpalogin[1965]: Listening on port 5050
>
> I get a lot of these they fill up 'messages'.

I googled it.  As far as I can see it can only log to syslog or stdout.
I don't see an option to set the priority or the facility for syslogd to
treat it differently in the bpalogin config file.

If you built it from source, look for the "openlog()" call in the source
and you can change the third option to one of "LOCAL_0" through
"LOCAL_7" so it uses a different facility, then rebuild it and install
the new version.

You can then change your /etc/syslog.conf to log to a different spot.
For example, if you used LOCAL_5, you could add this to
/etc/syslog.conf:

	# Save bpalogin messages in /usr/local/bpalogin.log
	local5.*               /usr/local/bpalogin.log

Run "service syslogd restart" to make syslogd reread its config file,
then restart the bpalogin service to run the new version.  Any log
messages from it should end up in /usr/local/bpalogin.log.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -