WiFi profiles and devices

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Dec 19 03:41:08 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> How does one set up and use /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles?
>> I've always wondered, but as I've just gone over to Fedora-8
>> on this laptop, and the directories /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles
>> and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices are both bare,
>> this might be a good time to start.
>>
>> I should say that I am not running NetworkManager,
>> as it does not support my WiFi device.
>>
>> As far as I can see, WiFi only looks at
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
>> I find editing this works fine for me,
>> so my interest in profiles is purely academic.
>>

> From Gnome in FC6, it is System --> Administration --> Network. To
> create a new profile, Pick Profile --> New or click on the New button.
>
> When you activate a profile, it replaces the selected files such as
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?, /etc/hosts,
> /etc/resolv.conf, and other needed for the changed profile. (If all
> profiles use the same files, nothing is replaced. So if
> /etc/resolv.conf is the same, it is not changes, etc.)
>
> I have not played with it much in Fedora, but if it works the same
> as what Mandriva was using, you have a lot of control over what
> files are changed when you change profiles. With Mandriva, I used to
> change like firewall rules, name server configuration, wireless
> keys, etc.

Thanks.
I guess the KDE equivalent must be Settings=>Network Device Control.
(There is also a System=>Network Device Control ,
but I assume this is the same.)
Unfortunately, neither of these seem to have any effect
on my Fedora-8 system.
I guess the CLI command system-config-network ,
which does seem to work, would be the best approach.
But my experience with this in the past has not been a happy one,
so I think I will leave it until the weather is warmer.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366