F8 install failure again & again

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed Dec 19 14:57:48 UTC 2007

On 2007/12/19 09:04 (GMT-0500) Todd Denniston apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote, On 12/18/2007 10:11 PM:

>> On 2007/12/18 18:27 (GMT-0800) Tod Merley apparently typed:

>>> On Dec 18, 2007 12:53 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:

>> I learned long ago that setting the BIOS to use anything other than AUTO was
>> more likely to do more harm than good, so I NEVER do it any more.
>> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/partitioningindex.html#BIOSHDREC

> except sometimes you actually need to configure programs (like bios) do do
> things in an expected way.

Apparently Anaconda needs some option that either doesn't exist or I didn't find.

> The problem you described reminded me of a problem one of the guys had while
> attempting to install F8T3, IIRC it was solved by either forcing AHCI on or
> off in bios, I don't remember which and he is not here right now.

I'm pretty sure the i815 target system predates AHCI by several years.

> however reading
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anacdump-gx150-f8-live1.txt
> I noticed fairly early on...

> "Local variables in innermost frame:
> deviceFile: /dev/sda
> str: The drive /dev/sda has more than 15 partitions on it.  The SCSI subsystem
> in the Linux kernel does not allow for more than 15 partitions at this time.
> You will not be able to make changes to the partitioning of this disk or use
> any partitions beyond /dev/sda15 in Fedora
> "

> So I am assuming your F7 install only used partitions numbered less than 15??

Libata wouldn't let me use them all, so it has no access to the FC6, pub,
srv, usr/local & a few other partitions unless and until I figure out how to
get dm to work, or some future Fedora version's Anaconda does it for me.

> It looks like the Anaconda in F8 is less forgiving (capable of dealing with
> errors) about too many partitions

I've not noticed anything in the logs to indicate it, but it's a high suspect.

> or you asked it to install to a partition
> numbered > 15?

Those >15 are never presented for selection.

Yum upgrade of a F7 partition clone worked, so it's not a base system problem.
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409