F8 Trouble with Galeon

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Wed Dec 19 16:35:44 UTC 2007

	After a clean install of F8, Galeon 2.0.3 ran fine until recently
-- before and after I imported .galeon files from my previous F7 on the
same machine and from two other machines; also after I went through those
files, opening both the new one and each of the others on the CD,
dragging and dropping everything larger in some other onto the new one.
(I wanted mainly my bookmarks, along with a few tweaks to my preferences,
but figured I might as well take it all.)

	Anyway, the result was running fine, for weeks.

	Then suddenly it refuses to open a new tab. Using either the
mouse or Ctrl-T, I get a crash instead of a new tab.

	I have described several variations to bug buddy, and posted to
the galeon list on Gmane.

	So far, I've had one response, under the Net, from someone who
once had a similar problem (apparently with gentoo), involving a GTK
binding.

	Both GTK and "binding" in any software sense are closed books to
me.

	I'm wondering if the problem might be something in Fedora.

	I do frequent updates (every day or two for the first couple
months of a Fedora release); the problem arose perhaps one to three weeks
ago.

	The gTweakUI for Galeon shows nothing odd-looking.

	The about:config is over my head; nothing in
browser.tabs.<whatever> jumps out at me; should I be looking for
something specific? (I don't recall ever having changed anything there.)

	There is one exception : if I invoke galeon with the command
"galeon &" *as* *root*, new tabs work; if I do it as user, the same
problem is there as if I invoke from a menu or a launcher in my panel
drawer.

	Any guesses? Or better yet, remedies?

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0