Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 20 08:54:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 17:57 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> I thought keeping it simple and just using entries in /etc/hosts
> for each was the way to start.  So sendmail needs more, than that?

If addresses are static, I'd expect that to work, it has for me.  Though
it's ages since I relied on hosts files, I use an internal DNS server,
now.

You'd want your IP address associated with your fully-qualified domain
name (for that interface) and associated with any aliases that you use
with it as well.

e.g. 192.168.1.12 mailserver.example.com mailserver

That way, if your mail server starts up thinking that it's "mailserver"
*or* "mailserver.example.com" it finds its IP matches, and vice versa
(when it asks to find out the name associated with its IP, it gets told
the same answer).  Generally it's the FQDN first, *then* aliases.

The addresses should match what it thinks itself is, i.e. the address of
its interface, regardless of any external public addresses (e.g. the
external address is the address of your connection to the internet on
the other side of a router).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.