F8: Kernel update = no Wireless

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Dec 20 22:17:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 14:55 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ivan Virgili wrote:
> > I have just updated my F8 installation, including the kernel.
> > Unfortunately this made the wireless card stop working.
> > Has anyone experienced the same problem?
> >
> > These are the details:
> > kernel - 2.6.23.9-85
> > networkmanager - 1:0.7.0-0.6.6
> > zd1211-firmware - 1.4-1
> >
> > If I start my computer using the old version of the kernel
> > (2.6.23.8-63) everything works fine.
> >
> > Ivan
> >
>     You put a kernel driver in the old kernel that let's your wireless
> work. Now you need to get a driver for the new kernel. As of now I
> haven't found anything the new kernel does better, so just go back to
> the old kernel for now.

Karl, please stop responding to messages when you don't know what you're
talking about.  I appreciate your zeal, but you do more harm than good
when you spout off like that.

The zd1211-mac80211 driver is a standard kernel driver.  He didn't
install anything special.  There's something else going on.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -