Simple HowTo

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:31:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 22:50 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 23:53 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > ----
> > > /opt is where vendor packages are normally installed, generally, but not
> > > always commercial packages, i.e. BrightStor ArcServe will install there,
> > > also, Dell's OMSA and the rpms you download from OpenOffice.org
> > >
> > > The growth of the number of files in /usr/bin is a testimony to the vast
> > > array of software available for Fedora.
> >
> > I agree, there's a ton of stuff and I'm not complaining about that,
> > nosiree. My comment is that the one directory looks just a little bit
> > full. At least with /usr/X11R6/bin it reduced the amount of traffic
> > in /usr/bin. If only there was a way to divvy up /usr/bin into standard
> > subsets, that everyone could agree on, such
> > as /usr/multimedia/bin, /usr/games/bin and so forth. It's a thought. Nor
> > would it be a huge deal to do. Ric
> ----
> ignoring of course, the whole point of the FHS itself which sadly,
> doesn't exist to satisfy Ric Moore's or Gene Poole's sense of the way
> things should be but rather be an entirely predictable point to put
> "Binaries that are not needed in single-user mode"

Whoa Craig, did you see one "should" in my post?? You used the word, but
not I. I thought I was very careful to say what I wrote. I merely said
it was a "thought" and you upped it into a "should". It's better, from
what I've learned, when "should" isn't in anyones mouth.

But I doubt that back when anyone would imagine the vast number of files
that are now in /usr/bin. Again, merely my observation. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar