DHCP even when I set static addresses

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Dec 21 01:34:06 UTC 2007

Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
> dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has
> something like 169.X.X.X
>
> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
> but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
> address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
> that is some internal address I think.
>
> Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
>
> /Peter
Hard to say without more information.  But it may be NetworkManager
doing that.
Try this as root:
service NetworkManager stop
service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make
disabling of NetworkManager permanent:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off

If that does not do it, please send the contents of your

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957