DHCP even when I set static addresses

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 04:02:46 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 5:04 PM, Peter Lauri <peterlauri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still dhcp
> tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has something like
> 169.X.X.X
>
> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet, but
> after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network address") it goes
> from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X that is some internal
> address I think.
>
> Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
>
> /Peter
>
> --

Hi Peter Lauri.

Stock NetworkManager is on which will first try DHCP and then try
Zeroconfig (see links) to try to obtain an address on the net.  What
you want uses a service called Network.

So:

System > Administration > Services

Un-select NetworkManager (on the first page)

Select Network (about 2/3 down the whole list)

Save and close.

Then:

System > Administration > Network

Select your interface (probaly eth0)

Press the "Edit" button.

Set up your network and hit OK.

Choose the "DNS" tab and set add your name service IPs

Do a "File Save" (Ctrl+s) and then a "File Quit" (Cntrl+q)

Reboot  -- Enjoy!

Have Fun

Tod

Links: