Fedora Core 6 No More

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Fri Dec 21 05:36:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> "Rahul Tidke" wrote:
>> Hello!
>>     I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
>> applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
>> updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am doubtful
>> about continuing its use in future??
>>     I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
>> (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
>>  My question is
>>
>>  1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
>
> This is the usually recommended path.  I plan to upgrade my .i686.fc6
> laptop to .x86_64.fc8 just as soon as I finish sorting out all of my
> server issues from its fc5->fc8 upgrade.

I too am running FC6 and know that an upgrade to FC8 is inevitable.  What
scares me is upgrading a single server in a small business that relies on
email (with spamassasin and plugins) and ftp services.

Has anyone had any difficultes that caused major downtime during an
upgrade to 8 from 5 or 6?

Are there and special precatutions one should take aside from having
redundant backups of all data, and tracking packages, etc?

Also, with 9 due out in April, would it be better in the long run to wait
the 4 months?

Ed
--
Randomly generated quote: