Fedora Core 6 No More

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 07:40:42 UTC 2007

>2007/12/21, Rahul Tidke <rahul at excelize.com>:
>>
>> Hello!
>>     I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
>> applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
>> updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am
>> doubtful
>> about continuing its use in future??
>>     I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
>> (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
>> My question is
>>
>> 1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
>> 2) What actually end of life means??
>> 3) Can I apply (kernel/software) updates after end of life?
>> 4) Is there any security threat?
>>
>> Thank you.

Hi - I was in the same boat as you were in.
I switched one box to CentOS 5 and another to Fedora 8.
The Fedora 8 box only lasted a few weeks, it now also runs CentOS 5. Fedora 8 was too buggy for my tastes.
I know this is the Fedora list - and I'm not saying people should ditch Fedora, it is a great project and allows those (including me a few years back) to play with the latest releases, report bugs, and help make open source software better.

However, it is not the right OS for a production environment (lifespan is too short) - RHEL or CentOS are much better choices.
Much of RHEL/CentOS 5 is derived from Fedora Core 6, so you will find yourself quite at home in it, and it will not reach EOL for quite some time.

My installations of CentOS are the most trouble free installations I have ever experienced. Virtually everything "just works" - no quirks, no oddities, it just plain works - just like Fedora Core 6 did for the last six months or so.