Fedora on an ASUS G23-B2

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Fri Dec 21 18:11:39 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
>
>> I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or
>> at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to
>> revert to XP but that's another story for another list.
>>

> VISTA only?  Hard to believe a gaming machine won't support XP.

On their download site, I couldn't find any drivers listed for XP - I
intend to revisit the search, and send in a query before I give up - it
is somewhat surprising - one thing they stuck on this machine is Turbo
Memory, which definitely only works with Vista, so, there may be
something in that - a decision to market a Vista only machine that could
take advantage of new technology from Intel. But, a gaming laptop that
can only run Vista??? That's definitely an 'interesting' marketing concept.
> According to ASUS technical specs, it uses an NVidia 8600M GS graphics
> processor.
>
> According to NVidia's documentation, the 8600M GS is supported by the
> NVidia proprietary Unified Xorg driver.  The current version is 169.07,
> released on 12/20/07.  This is the driver you need to concentrate on
> getting to work.  I'm somewhat surprised that you can't get anything to
> work except for the VESA driver.  The nv driver should at work in 2D
> mode (without 3D acceleration support).  Perhaps the GPU is too new(?)
> and appears as an unknown/unsupported GPU to the older software?

I appreciate your taking time to look into that - it was not my
intention that you do my research. I actually did know the graphics
processor involved and a trip to the nVidia site was on my agenda - I
was just seeking a quick answer to the question of whether anyone was
successfully running Fedora on this model laptop