Fedora Core 6 No More

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Fri Dec 21 20:31:03 UTC 2007

At 11:03 AM Friday, 12/21/2007, Les Mikesell wrote -=>

>>>If you are happy with the application versions that FC6 included, almost
>>>exactly the same set is included in CentOS 5 which will be supported
>>>with security and bugfix updates for many more years, and the install
>>>and administration is nearly identical. I'd switch anything where having
>>>new features or the latest application versions is less important than
>>>stability and time required for maintenance.
>>The hard part is switching over.  It is not quite a straight over upgrade.
>>  (At least when I tried it.)  Is there a way to force CentOS to upgrade an
>>FC6 install?
>
>It is theoretically possible using the install disk and the
>'upgradeany' boot option, but I wouldn't even try because of the
>possibility of having random leftover packages or settings that will
>cause unpredictable problems later. Remember that the CentOS install
>is going to be good for years with no attention other than periodic
>'yum update's and is worth the time to get it right in the first
>place. This is a lot easier if you have an identical spare machine
>to build a replacement that you can tweak and test before swapping
>into production, but I'd go that route even if I had to do initial
>testing under vmware and repeat the process to convert the existing
>machine.  You'll want a full backup of course (whether you are doing
>a conversion or not...). Clonezilla-live
>(http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/clonezilla-live/) is a handy way
>to make an image-level copy with a choice of ways to access storage
>for them (nfs/smb/ssh).

This is the way I originally upgraded from RH6 to FC6.  It's just a
little more expensive but I was planning on upgrading the hardware
anyway.  That new machine has only been in operation for about a year
and is running like a top - 2 1.8 ghz cpu's, 2 gb ram, Dell raid card
and hot spare.

I think I will stick with FC6 for about 6-12 months and then build a
newer machine...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (86 of 576):
"I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more
to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people
want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get
out of the way and let them have it."   --Dwight David Eisenhower