DHCP even when I set static addresses

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Dec 21 22:38:09 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 20:34 -0500, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Peter Lauri wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
>>> dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has
>>> something like 169.X.X.X
>>>
>>> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
>>> but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
>>> address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
>>> that is some internal address I think.
>>>
>>> Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
>>>
>>> /Peter
>>>
>> Hard to say without more information.  But it may be NetworkManager
>> doing that.
>> Try this as root:
>> service NetworkManager stop
>> service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
>> ifdown eth0
>> ifup eth0
>>
>> If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make
>> disabling of NetworkManager permanent:
>>
>> chkconfig NetworkManager off
>> chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
>>
>> If that does not do it, please send the contents of your
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>>
> You are not only assuming that he is running NM but also that he is
> running network. So after he stops NM he has to make sure that he is
> running network. Also checking /etc/dnclient.conf might be helpfull.

I his reference to use of 'ifup eth0' and that it initially had the
correct static address as evidence of several things, among them:
- He is somewhat familiar with network configuration via command-line.
- He IS running network in order to get that far.

I did not presume he was running NM, but suggested it as a possibility,
and how to test/remedy that if he was.  It seemed likely since a dhcp
lease attempt and zeroconf address assignment were occurring.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957