intel 4965agn wireless networking - Fedora 8

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 23 02:09:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 18:46 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I am just now setting up a laptop with Fedora 8 and I haven't the slightest
> clue what I'm doing with the wireless networking.  (It works fine with the wired
> ethernet cable.)
>
> I have a brand new Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router and I have, for the moment,
> done nothing at all to the wireless settings on it so I believe it should be
> "wide open".
>
> When booting up, I get a "FAILED" message when initializing wlan0
>
> When I go to System-Administration-Network and hit "activate" for wlan0, I get
> this:  "set failed on device wlan0 invalid argument"
>
> Again, I have no clue what I'm doing here -- I have never tried to set up a
> wireless network before.
>
> So.... what do I do now?
----
I **believe** that in F8, you would want to install and use
NetworkManager/NetworkManager Dispatcher instead of standard
system-config-network as that has integrated control for wireless
adaptors.

Recognize though that Network Manager uses DHCP which I wouldn't expect
to be an issue for you as I know you operate a dhcp server (from ltsp
experience).

Craig