Need real beginners kernel exploration advice !?

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 08:11:34 UTC 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 1:21 PM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I think the time has come for me to start exploring the Linux kernel in
> some depth.  I have installed kvm, qemu and git.  It seems to all be
> present and working. I have reviewed the kvm, qemu and git sites about
> how to start using those programs???
>
> I need a copy of Fedora 8-x64 kernel binary and source plus the kernel
> documentation.  There used to be a Fedora source page which I can no
> longer find, at least not anything newer than 2006. All the kernel
> binaries that I can see on the Fedora site are rpms.  I don't want to
> take the chance that these may get installed over my existing system.
>
> I want to download or copy the kernel to a new user I have created for
> this purpose.  I want to do it in such a way that this new downloaded or
> copied kernel has no chance of interfering with my existing system.
>
> What libraries do I have to make sure that I also get for this purpose?
>
> I don't think I need in depth details, but pointers to the locations of
> the various Fedora binaries and sources would be helpful.
>
> Any experienced advice that helps me get off on the right foot safely
> would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards Bill
>
> --

Hi Bill,

I am not what you want (no experience kernel building) but no one has
stepped up to the plate for you so I will try,  I share your interest!

I think the only "safe" environment to learn kernel building is a
cheap machine.  I think I would learn the basics on a simpler machine
(i586 or 686?).  You can often get these free or cheap if you look
around.

I have downloaded the development packages through add/remove
software.  I know that does not "create" anything and gives me a place
to look at documentation and make files.

I have also downloaded git, KVM, and qemu from the package manager.

Other than that, I am reading from these links:

# Dated tutorial on what you want to do I think
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora?topic=306338

# Includes lots of resources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

# The classic site for Kernel Newbie
http://kernelnewbies.org/

# Base site
http://www.kernel.org/

# Free Downlodable Book by Kroah (kinda hard to use)
http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

#git tutorial
http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

# Ubuntu environment but looks to be a good tutorial
http://www.howtoforge.com/using-kvm-on-ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon

# A KVM wiki and documentation
http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki
http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/HOWTO