Complete chroot environment?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Dec 23 15:16:19 UTC 2007

I've been experimenting with chroot to switch to an
alternate root partition and "do stuff" without
actually having to reboot to that alternate OS.

I see that none of the special filesystems seem to
be created as part of the ordinary chroot command, yet
things like the bind-chroot rpm does manage to create
a more complete environment for named to run in
(with populated /dev and /proc and wot-not).

Is there a handy tool somewhere to duplicate all the
special filesystems in a chroot environment?

Or should I just look at bind-chroot in more detail
and steal what it does?