Http access to SVN, anyone?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 18:52:26 UTC 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 7:04 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> >> As I said, I have read it, and there was nothing I found hard to follow.
> >> But I get the error "405 Method Not Allowed".
>
> >> Actually, I don't think I have made any changes
> >> in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf .
> >> The only file I have edited is /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf ,
> >> which seemed to contain all the code discussed
> >> in the section of the online book above.
> >

> > Please paste your /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf for inspection
>
> With some comment lines removed:
> LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
> LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so
>
> <Location /repos>
>    DAV svn
>    SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
> #   SVNPath /var/www/svn/Penrose
> #
> #   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
> #   <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
> #      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
> #      # SSLRequireSSL
> #
> #      AuthType Basic
> #      AuthName "Subversion Repository"
> #      AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
> #      Require valid-user
> #   </LimitExcept>
> </Location>
> I've actually tried with and without the authentication
> commented out in the above version.
> When trying with authentication I created the file /etc/svn-auth-file
> as suggested with
>
>         $ htpasswd -cm /etc/svn-auth-file tim
>
> But whatever I have tried so far has given the dreaded
> "405 Method Not Allowed".
>
> Any further elucidation gratefully received.

The only significant difference between yours and mine is this line
which you may want to add:
SVNListParentPath on

If that doesn't work after an `service httpd restart` it's time to look at logs:
 - /var/log/messages
 - /var/log/httpd/*

also, `ls -lZ /var/www/svn` may be important

( www.pembo13.com )