Complete chroot environment?

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 23 20:17:06 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote

I've been experimenting with chroot to switch to an
alternate root partition and "do stuff" without
actually having to reboot to that alternate OS.

I see that none of the special filesystems seem to
be created as part of the ordinary chroot command, yet
things like the bind-chroot rpm does manage to create
a more complete environment for named to run in
(with populated /dev and /proc and wot-not).

Is there a handy tool somewhere to duplicate all the
special filesystems in a chroot environment?

Or should I just look at bind-chroot in more detail
and steal what it does?
 ----

Tom,
the following works for me; it may not be all you are looking for
re "complete"

before chrooting to  /corni   which holds an alternate old rh8 install
I run the following   three-line script

[root at bootp ~]# cat mount_corni
#!/bin/bash
mount --bind /tmp /corni/tmp
xhost local:localhost

[root at bootp ~]#
that xhost line allows me to  run X applications

a year or so ago there was an exchange on this llist
between me and Gilboa on this subject.
He had an alternateemethod for getting X  to work

hope thiis helps
Jack

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com