SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

Robert McBroom (TNWestTex) no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Mon Dec 24 12:58:50 UTC 2007

> John Summerfield wrote:
> However much you wish it, I don't think it would even work for two
> Windows systems on the same computer.
>
> For starters, Windows expects to be installed to a primary partition.
> This protects one Windows system from another installed on the same drive.

With a small boot partition you can have as many flavors of windows that you want and the system files can exist in the extended partition.  Often used to have a beta version or an older version on the same machine.  Coexists with multiple versions of linux.  The boot partition should be the first primary on the drive to the best of my knowledge.

Some complications with VISTA.  Microsoft thinks hard drives are infinite and makes a lot of internal hidden restore snapshots with an extension to the ntfs structure.  Apparently just opening a partition with XP causes those snapshots to be lost (reference microsoft knowledgebase article on multiboot systems).  Feature not a bug ;-)Chances are that this problem would occur opening a VISTA system partition witn ntfs-3g.

Robert McBroom

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=229142&topic_id=49129&forum=10#forumpost229142
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster at fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame Darkenergy at bellsouth.net.