listening to protected audio cds

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Dec 24 16:05:00 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
> the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
> it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
>
> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
>
> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.
>

> Thanks

The software on the CD needs to be installed.  The problem is that the
software is "Widows only," in 95% of the cases.  Remember the Sony Root
kit issue?

If you can read the CD and play it, then rip it and make a clean copy
for your usage under "Fair Usage."

Some CD's have the music in a second session on the CD and you will have
to mount that.  This is for playing on CD players.  I do not remember
how to do this at this time.

Sorry I cannot be any help.  I just avoid to purchase any Digital
Restriction Managed CD's.  The last one I purchased, I returned for a
full refund.  The store didn't want to refund my money because it was
opened but there was no warning on the package saying that the CD could
only be played in a Windows computer.  The clerk told me to install the
software and I asked them to get me the Linux version.  Refund made.

--
Robin Laing