Need a fetchmail guru (JoAnne D.?) who's been using it to pop his/her gmail

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 24 16:28:19 UTC 2007

Greetings;

That is what I've been doing but while I was on the road starting a couple of
months ago, I'd apparently left a fwd stanza operational at gmail to fwd it
to a spam-trap bypassing address at vz.

Unforch, vz has their own private version of a spam filter bouncer that, in
the last couple of months, managed to leave about 4500 msgs at gmail.  And
they won't admit its even there!

I called vz and lawyered up on them based on Common Carrier FCC rules, and the
filter got shut down about 10 minutes later, which is good, but the incoming
headers still said it was being transported thru vz.  So I logged into gmail
with FF for the first time in several months and found the fwd kit.  I don't
recall doing it, but the info was correct so I must have.  Hello CRS? :(

So I killed the fwd kit at gmail and moved all the bounced stuff back to the
inbox, figuring fetchmail would suck it and that would be the end of it.  4
things though, 90% of them are dups by the time they get sorted here, and
fetchmail is reporting about an 85% failure to flush rate in the early part
of the waiting msgs it processes in each new daemon wakeup.  Toss in that
right now, webmail says there's about 3350 messages left to suck after around
19 hours (with two power failures here of about 9 hours total duration), but
when I set the verbosity up on fetchmail, it is only getting a much smaller
number between 800 and 1300 for a msg count from gmail, and this number is
refreshed to a new value when it sucks the last of the currently being
processed list.  Oh, 4th, did I mention its slower than molasses, probably
because of spamc here.

Is this "number of messages waiting" discrepancy mainly the disconnect between
the webmail interface, and the pop interface at gmail, or do we actually have
a fetchmail bug here?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)