Need a fetchmail guru (JoAnne D.?) who's been using it to pop his/her gmail

John Kodis kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 24 17:53:32 UTC 2007

Hi Gene,

While I'm not Joanne, my first question would be "Have you tried
'fetchmail --all'?"

Happy holidays,

-- John.

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:28:19AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> That is what I've been doing but while I was on the road starting a couple of
> months ago, I'd apparently left a fwd stanza operational at gmail to fwd it
> to a spam-trap bypassing address at vz.
>
> Unforch, vz has their own private version of a spam filter bouncer that, in
> the last couple of months, managed to leave about 4500 msgs at gmail.  And
> they won't admit its even there!
>
> I called vz and lawyered up on them based on Common Carrier FCC rules, and the
> filter got shut down about 10 minutes later, which is good, but the incoming
> headers still said it was being transported thru vz.  So I logged into gmail
> with FF for the first time in several months and found the fwd kit.  I don't
> recall doing it, but the info was correct so I must have.  Hello CRS? :(
>
> So I killed the fwd kit at gmail and moved all the bounced stuff back to the
> inbox, figuring fetchmail would suck it and that would be the end of it.  4
> things though, 90% of them are dups by the time they get sorted here, and
> fetchmail is reporting about an 85% failure to flush rate in the early part
> of the waiting msgs it processes in each new daemon wakeup.  Toss in that
> right now, webmail says there's about 3350 messages left to suck after around
> 19 hours (with two power failures here of about 9 hours total duration), but
> when I set the verbosity up on fetchmail, it is only getting a much smaller
> number between 800 and 1300 for a msg count from gmail, and this number is
> refreshed to a new value when it sucks the last of the currently being
> processed list.  Oh, 4th, did I mention its slower than molasses, probably
> because of spamc here.
>
> Is this "number of messages waiting" discrepancy mainly the disconnect between
> the webmail interface, and the pop interface at gmail, or do we actually have
> a fetchmail bug here?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Now my EMOTIONAL RESOURCES are heavily committed to 23% of the SMELTING
> and REFINING industry of the state of NEVADA!!
>
> --

John Kodis                                Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                  Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Phone: 301-286-7376                                 Fax: 301-286-1771