Networkmanager works ... 'service network start' locks up system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 24 19:08:04 UTC 2007

Tod Merley wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2007 7:02 PM, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>> I have a problem where the boot process will hang after initializing the
>> network with service network start or if I had the service started in
>> the runlevel. The problem does not happen if I allow NetworkManager do
>> the networking.
>>
>> Where would this sort of bug be best filed? Is there a specific package
>> to file a problem with service starting issues?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Jim
>>

> Hi Jim!
>
> You probably already know what follows but it is prudent that I
> mention this before I put what little I do know in the direction of
> you filing a bug.
>
> The NetworkManager and Network services are exclusive, they can/should
> not be run together since they affect the same settings but are nearly
> opposite in purpose.

I was mainly trying to determine which package to file a problem with
'service network start'
I think that I guessed the right package, initscripts but was not sure.
I have in the past used network service over NetworkManager.

Thanks for the links and reply. I'll file against initscripts. Besides
the problem with networking I have a problem with /dev/rtc existing and
when encountered a second time, it is created as /dev/rtc0. A control-c
is needed in order to proceed with the booting.

Jim

--
When your memory goes, forget it!