Mounting SD card with specific encoding

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 09:41:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 9:47 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/12/2007, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 2007 3:21 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
> > > filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
> > > 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
> > > use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> > >
> > > http://what-is-what.com
> > > http://gibberish.co.il
> > > א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> > >
> > > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Hi Dotan Cohen!
> >
> > CP1255 or ISO-8859-8 appear to be Hebrew/Latin document character
> > sets.  The mount command deals with mounting file systems.
>
> Thanks, Tod. Yes, those are Hebrew character sets. The Hebrew
> filenames show up as question marks, not letters. So if on the Nokia I
> make three directories on the card:
> EnglishDir
> תיקייהעברית
> עודאחד2
>
> Then this is what I see on my laptop:
> EnglishDir
> ???????????
> ??????2
>
> > You probably would do well to have the Hebrew (probably already loaded
> > it think I see) and Latin languages loaded into your system.
>
> Of course:
> $ locale
> LANG=he_IL.utf8
> LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en
> LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_NAME="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="he_IL.utf8"
> LC_ALL=he_IL.utf8
>
> > One would hope that the SD card when connected to your USB adapter and
> > then plugged into your computer would auto mount.
>

> Actually, it does not. I mount it manually. Why that is, I don't know.
> But it does not bother me.
>
> >  If not, see if your
> > phone documentation mentions the file system type.
>
> Fat32, formated by me on a windows machine.
>
> >  You might loose or
> > need to reformat a card on your camera if you try this but a good
> > guess would  be "mount -t msdos /dev/xxxx /media/myphonepictures"
> > assuming that xxxx (or xxx) is where the hardware is connected into
> > the system and that the directory "myphonepictures" exists before the
> > command is issued.  I just placed a flash drive on my system's USB
> > port and then ran mount.  This is the last line printed by mount:
> >
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
> [...]

Hi Dotan Cohen!

You are probably way ahead of me on this as well but what I found
(with the help from Ed Greshko and Lucia) is:

The mount command to fix this will be something like:

# mount -o codepage=1225,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1
/media/myphonepictures

# Has a very nice section on "The language selection parameters":
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountFATFileSystems

# Mention of the following:
charset=iso-8859-8  Hebrew Alphabet (ISO)
charset=windows-1255   Hebrew Alphabet (Windows)
# Found at (other Hebrew sets mentioned):
http://a4esl.org/c/charset.html

# Wikipedia on Windows 1225
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1255

# Wikipedia on iso-8859-8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO-8859-8

# Basic info on iso-8859-8 and iso-8859-8-I
http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/ISO-8859-8/index.htm
http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/ISO-8859-8-BIDI/index.htm

I do hope this proves useful!

Tod