Linksys KiSS 1600 PC-LINK equivalent?

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Dec 26 16:46:16 UTC 2007

Dick Holland wrote:
>>> Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for the Linksys KiSS 1600 Win/MAC
>>> PC-LINK product?

>> Start by looking at Myth TV ( http://www.mythtv.org/ ) or LinuxMCE
>> ( http://linuxmce.com/ ) I think you'll find links at both places
>> for purchasing ready made systems.

> TVM for the pointers. But I think they're not what I'm looking for.
>
> The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
> Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
> Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing
> software.
>
> Someone mentioned somewhere "kissd", but it seems to be a dormant
> project. Anyone had any experience with it?

Sorry I thought you were looking for the whole kit-n-kabootle.

Okay since I'm a little confused please tell me what the KiSS 1600
is for and we can start the discussion there. I'm guessing that I
probably have some kind of solution for you but need a starting
point for the discussion.

The stuff I have, NLSU running TwonkyVision (media server), a
Linksys WMSL11B (media play, plays music) and a DSM320 (soon
to have the DSM320RD, media player, play video and music).
BTW, LinuxMCE and MythTV can be clients as wells as servers.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com