how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Wed Dec 26 19:28:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:52:08 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> OK....
>>
>> So, I gather from all of this that the existing documentation, links,
>> and whatever doesn't measure up to what you need or expect. Would that
>> be a fair summary?
>>
>> Is the question then, how can documentation be improved for the average
>> user?
>
> all i'm suggesting is that it took an inordinately long time to figure
> out what should have been a two-minute exercise.  i'm guessing that, in
> most cases, readers aren't interested in a long-winded overview of
> things -- they just want to know what commands to run to get something
> done, which is all i wanted in the first place.

	I'll second that, with a small emendation : sooner or later, I
*will* want to know all the stuff on those sites, and more. Probably
later, or much later. At first, I just want the result; if/when I get
used to success, *then* I want to understand.

> in short, what people might want is a fedora "cookbook" with tight,
> concise recipes that just plain work, out of the box.  if they choose to
> read up later on the underlying operations, then that's their choice.

	Agreed again. And there isn't one, or it's well hidden.

	For the last two or three days, I've done little else but try to
get the re-spin of F8. Twice, now, I've gotten two downloads going in
parallel (on one instance of jigdo -- using the GUI interface that "yum
install jigdo" gave me.

	Both times, I've let them run fourteen hours or more, and found
them next day still using 40% CPU *each* for a total of 80% -- and with
no hint of approaching success.

	I finally gave up, despite all those web sites *and* some
suggestions here. I did a clean install with my old original DVD; ran yum
update; I'm running pirut now, which will probably take me at least a
whole day just to get the machine customized much as it was before.

	And then I'll still have to copy all my user's files and tweaks
-- or as many of them as I know about -- back from another machine. And
try to finish before she comes back and needs to resume her own work on
her machine.

	And it will still be less trouble than I've already wasted trying
to get a DVD that would do an upgrade. In fact, it looks like I'll have
to go back to buying pre-burnt media for F9 and F10 ...

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0