Hard drive encryption question for dual-boot XP and Fedora

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 25 23:35:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:45:54 -0600 (CST)
"Kerry Miller" <kmiller01 at ticnet.com> wrote:

> My company is requiring us to encrypt the hard drive on all laptops.
> We've already got some encryption software but it only works with Windows,
> not anything set up to dual boot or anything running VMware.  Do any of
> you guys know of some kind of encryption software (open source or not)
> that can handle a dual boot laptop with Windows XP on one partition and
> Fedora on the other?  He's already told me I need to get rid of my Linux
> partition but I need it for network diagnostics, I'm hoping if I can find
> an alternative he'll let me and the other network guy use a different
> encryption package.

It isn't just encryption - you'll also need key management. dmcrypt will
do the encryption side but I would assume your company is requiring key
escrow as US companies have legal duties to produce data if ordered to by
a court or similar authority, or to retrieve data if you vanish/fall out.
"Dave forgot to tell us the key" isn't considered a good defence in court
or to the IRS 8)