playing DVDs with totem

Abhishek abhishekrane at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 03:26:03 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>

>> Somehow Windows got a reputation for "it just works".  It is total
>> nonsense.  Most of the time you have to track down obscure pieces to make
>> things work.   And sometimes the options it provides are less than useful.
>>
>> The claim that "Windows is easier to install than Linux" is also pretty
>> bogus.
>>

> I think the truth lies somewhere between the two.
> Windows is more likely to work with strange hardware,
> but if it doesn't work it is much more difficult to fix,
> and there may well be no solution.
> With Linux there is usually a solution,
> though it may be at the end of a long tunnel.
>
> Also Windows is easier to install,
> but if it doesn't install you (or at least I) are stumped.
> With Linux there are always 5 other ways to try.

    Ya exactly one more point will be that Linux is easy to use but
easier to screw up for a normal user,it's not that ignorant friendly
while Windows is very ignorant or n00b friendly stuff what we call
making it difficult for a "normal" user to screw up..That's where
Microsoft scores..people want it to work quickly and easily...If we look
at Vista which is not doing quite well as expected, the reason behind
that is the less user friendly nature of Vista as compared to Xp..Those
stupid buggy things which keep popping up every now and then are infact
making people more keen on exploring Linux.(PS:Everex GPC). Morever DRM
is the worst part which is killing Vista sales...If their next
installment (Vienna I suppose) fails then we might almost see 20% of the
desktop market owned by Linux.!