How to correctly write a video DVD from MPEG-2 files

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Dec 28 03:54:47 UTC 2007

Long story short:
	I have a new video camera (sony dcr sr-42).  I've records 75 minutes of
video on it.  I can mount its hdd over USB to my (fc6) laptop and access
the .MPG files which are the recording.  Two of them, since the first
one is 2GB in size, the 2nd file contains the remainder of the video.
Seems to be an MPEG-2 video w/AC3 audio embedded.
	How do I write this to a DVD that anyone can stick it their stand-alone
DVD player and play as a single "movie"?
	I tried using "dvdstyler", but it errors out while checking the video
for MPEG-2 errors (lots of bogus packet sizes), and then "mplex"
complains about the input files it gets as being unrecognizable.
	dvdauthor assumes that I have VOB files already (I don't).
	MythTV will write out its .mpg recording to DVD for me (and I've done
it with MythTV recordings), but these files aren't a part of MythTV.
	Any pointers to some *GOOD* tutorials or HowTo scripts that don't
assume anything?  Everything I've found so far assumes either AVI or
DIVX as the starting video format, or assumes you already know how to
build VOBs for the DVD (I don't).
	I was surprised that K3B will write data DVDs, but not video DVDs
(unless I already have the VOB files).
	What packages/scripts have the knowhow to comvert my MPEG-2s into a
playable DVD?  Nothing fancy, just insert the DVD, and have it play the
single "movie".  No menus needed.  No submenus/chapters.
	Thanks!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com